Print Friendly and PDF

Wednesday 28 March 2018

Chikaramachi China

Spring Break from school gives me a chance to spend time looking in second hand stores for treasures.  This week, I spotted this pretty  cup and was excited to buy it for $1 to complete a set I knew I had at home. 

Okay, my memory seemed to be lacking because below is the set that I have that belonged to the Boulton household, either Merle or her mother-in-law Elsie.  Also, the set is missing a saucer, not a cup!
 

It did get me researching this style of china and found the iridescent peach and blue is a hallmark of Chikaramachi from Japan.
 
The high gloss glaze used is also called lustreware and the stamp on the bottom dates it somewhere between 1928 and 1946.  These cups were made in the same factory as the famous Noritake, perhaps as an apprenticeship program. 
While I was looking in the china cupboard, I took note that this pretty set is missing a saucer as well. 


The maker's mark on this set shows it was made at Royal Leighton Ware between 1946 and 1954.  It is defined as an earthenware rather than a china and it shows it age with the crazing inside the cups.  The wrinkles of vintage pottery!


P.S. - Does anybody want that chikaramachi cup??

1 comment:

  1. Yes Yes Yes, I was able to pick up a small tea pot and sugar bowl of the same colors, and I am just now beginning my search for a couple cups and saucers. I wish I could send you a picture of my tea pot.

    ReplyDelete